Frequently Asked Questions

Can I join DDAL or donate online? Are donations tax deductible?

Visit our Membership area to donate online via our secure server. Donations to DDAL are NOT tax-deductible. The law does not permit a deduction for contributing to any organization primarily engaged in lobbying for legislation. Thank you for your interest!

How do I write a Letter to the Editor?

Because "Letters to the Editor" sections are widely read, this is an effective way to educate the public on animal related issues. If published, you are sure to reach a large number of people.

Here are some tips on writing your letter:

  1. Address your letter to "Dear Editor."
  2. Keep it short, no more than 300 words.
  3. Write concise sentences, and stick to one issue.
  4. Look at letters the newspaper has published to get an idea of what makes it into print.
  5. Be timely! If responding to something already published, send in your letter no more than 2 to 3 days after the article has appeared.
  6. The letter should be typed and double-spaced. Sign it and include your home and work telephone numbers.
  7. State the name of your organization (if applicable) and the purpose of your message.
  8. Convey brief background material about the problem.
  9. State your opinion about the problem, backed by relevant and accurate statistics from a reputable source.
  10. Tell your readers what action they should take.

Back to the Top

Where can I find low cost spay/neuter services for my pet?

If you can afford to pay your veterinarian's normal fees, it is important that you do so. Most veterinarians are happy to work with animal guardians struggling to make ends meet on a low income or Good Samaritans who trap and neuter feral cats. It is not fair to ask veterinarians to reduce reasonable fees for financially secure clients simply looking for "the best deal."

If you are truly in need of low cost spay/neuter services, try one or more of the following:

  • Call 1-888-PETS911. Or visit and enter your zip code, click "Submit," and then " Low Cost Spay/Neuter."
  • For a low cost spay/neuter voucher, contact Friends of Animals at 1-800-321-PETS.
  • For low cost spay/neuter programs in all 50 states call SPAY/USA at 1-800-248-7729. Please note: This is not the same as the Spay Day USA program.
  • Visit for a state-by-state listing of low cost spay/neuter clinics for cats.
  • Contact your local humane society or animal care and control facility for a referral to a low cost clinic in your area.
  • Do a search on for "low cost spay/neuter."
Back to the Top

Can you help me find a pet-friendly apartment?

Check the following web sites for assistance finding a pet-friendly apartment: People With Pets and Pet Apartments.

What can I do if I see an animal being abused or neglected?

Contact your local Humane Society or Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (S.P.C.A.). Their investigators know the laws protecting animals in your state and can determine if there has been a violation. Or contact the Animal Cruelty Action Line at 503-231-8480 or via e-mail at sponsored by the Animal Legal Defense Fund.

How do I find the S.P.C.A., animal shelter or humane society near me?

Enter your zip code at and to find a list of shelters near you, or visit for more information.

How do I change my mailing address?

Please send a request via e-mail to with your name, address and other pertinent information including your old and new address. Please allow three months for the change to be effective.

Back to the Top

How can I prepare for a natural disaster, such as hurricane or flood, that may force me and my companion animals to evacuate our home?

  • Take your pet with you. If you must evacuate your house, do not leave your pet behind. If it is unsafe for you to remain, it is unsafe for your pet as well.
  • Many rescue shelters do not accept animals. Gather the names, addresses and telephone numbers of hotels, friends, kennels, etc. outside your area which accept animals.
  • Place an out-of-state or out-of-area contact name and number, along with your own, on your pet’s ID tag. Have your pet’s health certificate and a photo handy at all times to prove ownership if you are separated from your pet during a disaster. Keep your pet’s vaccinations up-to-date in case you have to board your pet or leave the state.
  • Have a portable carrier, collar, and leash available for evacuation. Ask your local animal shelter if they have an evacuation plan for animals, and if they would be able to care for your specific type of pet during an emergency.
  • Keep a list of friends and relatives who could care for your pet for an extended period of time in the event you lose your home.

My companion animals needs extensive surgery, but I can’t afford the veterinary bills. Can you help me?

Unfortunately, DDAL doesn't have the funding to help individuals with veterinarian bills. Contact United Animal Nations at 916-429-2457 and ask about their "Lifeline" program.

Does the Doris Day Animal League accept animals?

DDAL is not an adoption center or humane shelter. Pets911 is one of the best organizations to offer LOCAL assistance. Visit them online at for a list of resources for shelters, rescues and other adoption options that are local to you.

I want to adopt a service animal. How can I locate one?

The Delta Society offers a wealth of information on service animals and animal therapy, as they specialize in this area. You may visit them online at: or email them at:

I want to adopt a horse. How can I locate one?

Visit for a list of horses available for adoption nationwide.

How can I find out if a certain company tests their products on animals?

Look on the back label of the product in question for their toll-free number or a mailing address. Call or write them a letter inquiring about their policy on animal testing. Use the sample letter from the web site of the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics.

How do I send a letter to Miss Doris Day?

Please send all letters to: Doris Day Animal Foundation, 8033 Sunset Boulevard #845, Los Angeles, CA 90046.

Does Miss Day own a hotel that accepts pets?

Miss Day is part-owner of the Cypress Inn in Carmel, California.

Back to the Top